[Bf-committers] Remove Frameserver

Sergey Sharybin sergey.vfx at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 23:09:50 CEST 2012

Hey!

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 8:20 PM, Peter Schlaile <peter at schlaile.de> wrote:

> Hi Sergey,
>
> > I would say if frameserver (in his current state) is still helpful for
> > some usages, let's keep it as is for at least a while. If it's buggy /
> > unstable/ unusable i would rather either completely remove it or at
> > least IFDEF it.
>
> AFAIK, it works, currently.
>
> > Even if some tool could be useful for somebody, we should either deliver
> it
> > in a useful way or not try to deliver it at all.
>
> The code worked and isn't that bad IMHO. The only thing, that went wrong,
> was a small glitch that slipped in while upgrading the frameserver to
> new rendering API.

Well, if it works even with some limitation (i mean works stable), then i'm
not
currently sure sure why to drop it =\ We do have some other limited but
working
pretty well areas in blender.

Is that glitch resolved now?

> > Do not forget that blender is mainly 3d modeling/rendering
> > application, not a video editor, so lack of some specific for video
> editor
> > tools doesn't seem to be problem here for me.
>
> I hope you don't mind, if I disagree.

Yes, wouldn't mind :) What i meant is more like i don't think putting
core team to work on frameserver would be nice idea.

> > Another question is -- if frameserver would be decided to be kept, who's
> > gonna to maintain it? Think neither me nor Campbell or Brecht would have
> time to
> > work on frameserver, but as Thomas mentioned we still do have reports
> about that
> > area.
>
> Certainly true, but: no one assigned a frame server bug to me
> (the one fixed, also wasn't assigned to me) and: I can't find any bugs in
> the bug tracker regarding the frameserver.
>
> > So, any volunteers?
>
> Please assign bugs in the current code to me.

Allrighty. Side note: i think you've got one bug about sound assigned to
you.
I've failed to figure that out, would be cool if you look into that one.
But that's
just a side node.

About addon.. Probably that's not so difficult to do, but i'm not sure if
it'll indeed
help.Maybe if we'll have some guy who're willing to improve frameserver but
wouldn't
be familiar with C code.. Actually don't have strong opinion here.

--
With best regards, Sergey Sharybin