[Bf-committers] Remove Frameserver

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 14:46:45 CEST 2012

Some notes...

- frameserver can be disabled in cmake WITH_IMAGE_FRAMESERVER

- added frameserver to our image format docs, moved frameserver doc
into our manual.
  http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Render/Output#Image_Formats
  http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Manual/Render/Output/Frameserver
... this way a user has some chance of finding the docs (Right click
on formats -> Online manual -> frameserver docs)

... these docs are really out of date - had reference to amiga iff
format we didnt support for years, I made some corrections but
probably can do with more... :S

Maybe I can find some time to redo frameserver as an addon (after
mango), but for now don't have time for it.

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Sergey Sharybin <sergey.vfx at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would say if frameserver (in his current state) is still helpful for some
> usages, let's
> keep it as is for at least a while. If it's buggy / unstable/ unusable i
> would rather either
> completely remove it or at least IFDEF it.
>
> Even if some tool could be useful for somebody, we should either deliver it
> in a useful
> way or not try to deliver it at all. In other words it's about quality of
> tools, not quantity
> of them. Do not forget that blender is mainly 3d modeling/rendering
> application, not
> a video editor, so lack of some specific for video editor tools doesn't
> seem to be
> problem here for me.
>
> Another question is -- if frameserver would be decided to be kept, who's
> gonna to
> maintain it? Think neither me nor Campbell or Brecht would have time to
> work on
> frameserver, but as Thomas mentioned we still do have reports about that
> area.
> So, any volunteers?
>
> On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 10:06 AM, Carsten Wartmann <cw at blenderbuch.de> wrote:
>
>> Am 05.08.2012 14:06, schrieb Thomas Dinges:
>> > versions) so NOBODY reported it, and therefore NOBODY cared / seriously
>> > used it, otherwise it would have been reported way earlier.
>>
>> People using the frameserver tend to do long projects where it is always
>> a risk to switch versions. Thats also an assumption of course ;-)
>>
>> Carsten
>> --
>> Carsten Wartmann: Autor - Dozent - 3D - Grafik
>> Homepage:         http://blenderbuch.de/
>> Das Blender-Buch: http://blenderbuch.de/redirect.html
>>

> --
> With best regards, Sergey Sharybin