[Bf-committers] Blender bug tracker (was Re: Remove Frameserver)

Paul Melis paul.melis at sara.nl
Mon Aug 6 11:10:19 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 08/05/2012 02:06 PM, Thomas Dinges wrote:
> What this bug made clear though is, that frame server was not working
> for quite some time (probably the whole 2.6x series and maybe some 2.5x
> versions) so NOBODY reported it, and therefore NOBODY cared / seriously
> used it, otherwise it would have been reported way earlier.

This is somewhat off-topic, but I think Blender has one of the worst bug
trackers I've seen, and I use a lot of open-source projects and
frequently report bugs. This makes it (for me) less attractive to report
or search for a bug, which is a shame. With something like bugzilla (or
google code) I at least have the idea that I'm able to do a good search
for the existence of a bug report, before entering a new one.

Problems with it that I see are:

1) The search facility is very hard to use, and I find it unclear to see
what fields are actually searched. You can enter some terms, but it's
impossible (it seems) to search on, say, words in the title. This makes
is hard to determine if a bug report already exists for some issue.

2) Search results are presented in oldest-to-newest first, with no
option to jump to the newest results. Old bugs are usually less relevant
(especially when they were reported 3 years ago), it's the newest ones
you want to see.

3) Integrating the tracker within the regular blender website looks
nice, but an awful lot of screen space is wasted that way, which can be
used to make the bug list more readable.

Anyways, just my 2 euro-cents. I guess some of the above is probably a
matter of taste or getting to know the bug tracker.

Regards,
Paul