[Bf-committers] Porting of Blender on Android

Alexandr Kuznetsov kuzsasha at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 06:21:22 CEST 2012

Hi.

I'm the student who is working on Android port. We already have ported Game
Engine to usable state, but we still need to port the rest of Blender. It
is a huge task, but I'm looking forward to it.  Jason Wilkins's project
made it a much easier task.

Blender is written primarily in C with a little python. Therefore, we were
able to compile and run it on Android without user interface few month ago.
The main problem is that Blender uses OpenGL for UI and 3D view, but
Android (and other mobile devices) have only OpenGL ES (subset of OpenGL)
support. Blender uses a lot of OpenGL functions not available in OpenGL ES.
Therefore Jason Wilkins and my project are focused on refactoring drawing
calls and implementing OpenGL ES.
I use OpenGL ES 2.0 for the port, therefore it should be supported by
device.
We are probably at least six month away from having good support for
Android. (As current, Blender UI doesn't work at all on Android except Game
Engine).   Sadly, starting September, I won't be able to work full time on
this project.

Best,
Alexandr Kuznetsov