[Bf-committers] PVS-Studio Static Analysis

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 03:36:40 CEST 2012

While its probably possible to setup some `good enough` solution using
diff, I tend to agree with Jason - that you need something more
comprehensive so some minor edits to a file doesn't give you a lot of
changes to the diff to read through that are in fact only line number
change or re-ordered functions.

Even though you could probably skim-read the diff and tell new
additions from line-number offsets - blenders is changing fast enough
that doing this every day would become a time waster IMHO.

Another issue with diff, clang outputs HTML or PList (some apple xml?)
- so diffing this output needs someone to work on a tool for that
specifically.

Checking if number of reports changed was OK until clang started
crashing in some of our source code, so now it gives different bug
count every run.
http://clang.blenderheads.org/trunk/

(yes, I realize some bug could be added and another removed between
revisions - so its not foolproof).

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 8:57 AM, Jason Wilkins
<jason.a.wilkins at gmail.com> wrote:
> If the source line changes then diff isn't a good enough tool.  What
> is needed is a that these programs need to maintain a database that
> keeps a signature of each problem that is basically an AST of the area
> affected and is independent of source line and whitespace changes.
> Then you could annotate this database with information about false
> positives instead of your source.  Such a database might even be able
> to keep new false positives from appearing if you duplicate the
> problem exactly in a different source file.
>
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 11:13 AM, Mr Rasmus Lerchedahl Petersen
> <rusmus at eecs.qmul.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> Running a second time gives you only the false positives again.
>>> If some new bug is added to the source you still needed to read over
>>> the false positives (unless your memory is really good).
>>>
>>> long term we need to have a way to notify us when new errors are added.
>> Sounds like a job for diff?

- Campbell