[Bf-committers] Quaternion interpolation is bumpy/wrong

Bassam Kurdali bassam at urchn.org
Thu Apr 26 03:36:19 CEST 2012

Rotations in 3D are just a horrible beast, and I think it is non trivial
to figure out what constitutes a 'nice' interpolation across all cases,
perhaps not even possible. You might be to use hierachies to isolate
axis for some very specific setups, however:
> >> way how it could be correctly implemented. My attempt would be to remove
> >> the possibility to edit f-curves for quaternions (who does that anyway?)
Lots and lots of animators edit quat f-curves- and wouldn't like 'taking
the curve editor away' unless it is replaced with something better...
(curve editor++ ? direct editing of paths/handles in the 3D view?)
> >> and to use another interpolation scheme for this kind of rotations.

euler will have it's own, worse interpolation issues, but I'm not sure
how axis angle would behave in this specific case. Does anyone actually
use axis-angle and it's just me living in the stone age?