[Bf-committers] Numpy integration

Jonathan Merritt j.s.merritt at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 15:13:58 CEST 2012

I currently use SVD from numpy / scipy for polar decomposition as part of
computing least-squares rigid body transformations in biomechanics research
(using the algorithm from [1]).  Blender is the best way I currently have
to visualise the results.  I can imagine many similar applications in
tracking, motion capture, etc.

I use the linear algebra capabilities from numpy quite a bit though, so
access to routines for arbitrary-sized matrix operations, easy matrix
assembly, determinant, trace, and linear system solvers would also be
necessary in order for me not to import numpy.

Not that my use of Blender is typical. :-)

Jonathan Merritt.

[1] - Veldpaus, F.E., Woltring, H.J. and Dortmans, L.J.M.G. (1988) A
least-squares algorithm for the equiform transformation from spatial marker
coordinates.  Journal of Biomechanics, 21(1):45-54.