[Bf-committers] Movie distortion algorithm

mgschwan at blensor.org mgschwan at blensor.org
Tue Apr 17 11:06:17 CEST 2012

I second that,

using a precomputed mapping will be the most useful algorithm. Because
normally, everybody is doing the reverse mapping (undistortion by
calculating the distorted positions from the undistorted ones and doing
a reverse mapping) and avoids the other way around like the devil runs
from the holy water.

What could be a feasible solution too:

Calculate the distorted points from the undistorted ones and
interpolate between the supporting points with a 2nd order polynomial.
Maybe you even could reduce the number of supporting points by
calculating only a sparse mapping between undistorted and distorted
points. Basically doing a piecewise polynomial interpolation.

Michael