[Bf-committers] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [45561] trunk/blender/source/blender/ blenkernel/BKE_global.h: add in a check for Mingw so 4. 5 or older will error out on build.

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 17:14:11 CEST 2012

On blenderartist, a few users have had a hard time getting blender to
build with mingw (after spending a lot of time on this aparently).

So seemed reasonable to ensure mingw/cmake work out of the box - Since
new devs (*also experienced devs*) can loose a lot of time chasing up
cryptic error messages and its not a nice introduction to blender dev.

We should at least attempt to give users a reasonable experience
building blender, it really sucks when someone tells you
PROGRAM/VERSION XYZ is known to fail when you just spent some hrs
trying to figure out whats going on.

- Disable known non-working configurations.
- Disable options that fail with mingw.
- Default CMake config should work right away.

@Sergey, I had the same issue where GCC crashes in with version 4.5
and works with 4.6, rather then disabling it we could make libMV give
some error with mingw and an older GCC.
CMake/Scons could be used to do this instead rather then #error
however getting compiler version for both CMake and SCons isnt so
simple.

As it turns out the linking errors I had with cycles seem spesific to
my setup - and Im still not sure why cycles/tiff/exr fail.
see: http://www.graphicall.org/ftp/ideasman42/mingw_4_6_err.txt

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 12:44 AM, Antony Riakiotakis <kalast at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sergey, personally I voted for 4.6 because 4.5 crashed when
> compiling libmv due to running out of stack. For 4.6 they raised the
> limit. As far as i know 4.6 can produce a full-featured blender
> executable. I wasn't aware of the problems with ffmpeg but it gives me
> no problems when linking the already presentffmpeg version here, so I
> guess you can keep compiling the library with gcc 4.4.

- Campbell