[Bf-committers] build blender with mingw

Antony Riakiotakis kalast at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 11:11:24 CEST 2012

Hi, fighting with some build issues today and remembered this thread.
Since builders complaining about MinGW not building is an often
recurring theme, it is important to know that only gcc 4.6.2 is
supported. Use the latest mingw-get-inst and download latest packages.
That should take care of the dependency. Also, if you want to build
CUDA binaries, it is unfortunately a requirement of the CUDA compiler
that MSVC is installed too, and you need to run the build from a MSVC
command line. At least that is the case with the 4.0 toolkit.

On MinGW64 issues, I am going to investigate further. A poster on BA
gave this link http://mamedev.org/tools/ where it is clear that MAME
use their own distribution of MinGW64 too. It is very rational IMO,
for the reasons I have posted previously and should we support MinGW64
we should also distribute our own version.

I just wish there was a debug version of python for MinGW and CUDA
didn't require MSVC for building. Then we could really have a
standalone compiler system with MinGW(64?)