[Bf-committers] Help with the node editor

Lukas Tönne lukas.toenne at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 7 07:48:30 CEST 2012

The id and from pointers are set in the snode_set_context function in
node_edit.c. They describe the context origin (from, what kind of data
block from context defines the node tree, usually the active object),
and the actual owning data block of the node tree (id). They id
pointer is a way to let the node editor explicitly trigger updates of
the respective id datablocks (preview drawing).

For the upcoming custom nodes [1] i'd like to replace this scattered
and rather confusing feature with a callback function for tree types
in some way, to avoid storing such explicit information directly in
the node editor DNA.

[1]
https://www.gitorious.org/~lukastoenne/blenderprojects/blender-lukastoenne/commits/custom_nodes