[Bf-committers] Improving Blender's keymap: a proposal

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 11:48:24 CEST 2012

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Przemyslaw Golab <gbirdboy at gmail.com> wrote:
> == Principle 8 ==
>
> Key-map everything. There are many operators that don't have any key-map.
> Users have to manually create key-slot for it and configure it and it is
> not so easy and takes some time.
> Users should have some key-map for everything so they could just easily
> edit it if needed.

Don't agree here, sometimes there are conflicts with mixed modes -
some tools are fairly obscure -
all we can do is our best to make good choices, but map everything is
a bit unrealistic - unless you accept many strange keymaps with
ctrl+alt+shift+fkeys... but dont think this helps with user
satisfaction/efficiency.

With any generic keymap there will always bee some specific use case
where someone wants to map some obscure tool to a key that doesn't
make sense for general usage, a new keymap can't solve that IMHO.