[Bf-committers] On Format Woes

Troy Sobotka troy.sobotka at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 08:03:48 CEST 2012

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 8:53 AM, Andrew Hunter <andrew at aehunter.net> wrote:
> It was brought to my attention that Xavier Thomas has already working
> such an integration. Perhaps the developers could chime in on the
> possibility of getting this work merged to trunk.[2]

Further along this path, I just did a test using Sebastian's DPX
sample using OCIOConvert (from within OCIO). The result aligns nicely
with Blender's internal format and preserves highlights.

The command I used off of the base DPX was:

ocioconvert ~/Downloads/A007C025_120403.dpx slog ~/Desktop/sony-test.exr linear

I used the Nuke OCIO configuration as Nuke's internal (relatively non
HDR) linear config matches nicely against Blender's[1].

In visual tests using ociodisplay, the results look extremely promising.

Prior to using the ocioconvert function, it is necessary to establish
the environment variable OCIO, such as:

export OCIO="/path/to/config.ocio"

I'll conduct further tests as I roll along here. For now, this would
be a deadly simple way to get an archival quality source (the DPX) and
post production pipeline ready files in EXR via a simple batch script.

If there is any interest in wanting further details, email away.

With respect,
TJS

[1] https://github.com/imageworks/OpenColorIO-Configs