[Bf-committers] BGE GSoC Proposal: Converter Improvements

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Thu Apr 5 13:43:07 CEST 2012

Hi,

The problem I see is that the game engine is still quite tied into
Blender data, like for armatures, shape keys, modifiers, glsl. So the
full Blender database then still needs to be loaded anyway, or would
that be addressed somehow? If not, how much performance difference
would this make, have you profiled an existing game and checked where
the bottlenecks were, and would your proposed changes address them?

Also potentially and issue is that this will mean you have two code
paths to convert data, where one will not be tested as well. If the
new optimized game loading only kicks in one you want to publish the
game, then only at that point bugs will be noticed in it.

Brecht.