[Bf-committers] User Interface Tasklist Proposal

Jorge Rodriguez jorge at lunarworkshop.com
Sun Apr 1 17:51:06 CEST 2012

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 3:12 AM, Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>wrote:

> * would not be accepted into blender (probably you we'rent to know but
> pre-select highlighting wouldnt be accepted, Ton doesn't like it)

Really? How strange. What's the objection? He doesn't want it even as an
option?

* are very very easy, or simply tweaking a default (right click menu
> for text is an example of this, of course users dont care if features
> are hard to code or not, BUT it does make it harder to review your
> proposal since we cant really count these additions as significant
> contributions - projects for you to sink your teeth into)

I spoke with some other developers who expressed to me that a lot of small
items is better than one large items, better possibility of it being
finished. So I just threw everything related to usability (not necessarily
UI) onto the list. From what I've seen there's been a few similar
polish-related GSoC projects accepted in recent years, so I was hoping it
wouldn't be a problem. Would you prefer if there was one or two big ticket
items on there? Such as...

* reduce vertical scrolling for toolbar, operator view.
> * cleanup view3D header & menus eg:
> http://www.blendernation.com/2011/10/29/cleaning-up-the-blender-ui/
> * improve the layout engine for more efficient use of whitespace (or
> at least make configurable).
> * improve toolbar (add/remove user tools would be nice to have)

These look really interesting, I would love to add them. Can I ask you to
expand on these? How exactly more efficient whitespace, you mean reducing
it? How would you want to reduce vertical scrolling? Some of them could be
controversial, I tried to stick to uncontroversial things. The Reynish
presentation for example I would love to work on. Should I do a Gimp mockup
of a new toolbar? If these things require debate, how should I go about
handling them in my proposal?

I'll move all of the not directly related to UI stuff into a nice-to-have
section.

--
Jorge "Vino" Rodriguez
jorge at lunarworkshop.com