[Bf-committers] User Interface Tasklist Proposal

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 12:12:15 CEST 2012

Hi, read over the proposal.

In general, a proposal that deals with UI
glitches/paper-cuts/annoyances can work I think.

but the this list contains too many items that...
* are too unrelated to our interface (mesh editing, fly mode).
* would not be accepted into blender (probably you we'rent to know but
pre-select highlighting wouldnt be accepted, Ton doesn't like it)
* are very very easy, or simply tweaking a default (right click menu
for text is an example of this, of course users dont care if features
are hard to code or not, BUT it does make it harder to review your
proposal since we cant really count these additions as significant
contributions - projects for you to sink your teeth into)

Prefer you would focus more on the interface (not various other stuff).
To _really_ become efficient in blenders interface code isnt that
simple, (why do you think we still have bugs in our color picker? :S)

Would like to see a more of a clear direction, then focus less on
details - (these need to be agreed on anyway).

Examples could be:
* reduce vertical scrolling for toolbar, operator view.
* cleanup view3D header & menus eg:
http://www.blendernation.com/2011/10/29/cleaning-up-the-blender-ui/
* improve the layout engine for more efficient use of whitespace (or
at least make configurable).
* improve toolbar (add/remove user tools would be nice to have)

such tasks may involve many smaller changes but would be worthwhile IMHO.

Other smaller tasks are OK in the proposal but really small stuff is
better worked out later IMHO.

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 3:15 PM, Jorge Rodriguez <jorge at lunarworkshop.com> wrote:
> After speaking more closely with some Blender developers I have withdrawn
> my previous proposal and formulated a draft of a new proposal. This
> proposal assembles a list of user interface items to work on from the Wiki,
> from bug reports, from interactions I have had with some Blender community
> members, and from my own personal pet peeves, mostly usability-related
> improvements and bug fixes.
>
> http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2012/vino/23002
>
> Essentially the proposal is for me to be a janitor for a few months. My
> goal is at the end of the project Blender will be much more fluid and
> easier to use and understand for both new and existing users. I would love
> to see feedback and thoughts, but please remember that items in this list
> are not final and are at the discretion of the Blender team, including my
> would-be mentor. If you have something you would like to see on the list, I
> would like to hear it.
>
> --
> Jorge "Vino" Rodriguez
> jorge at lunarworkshop.com