[Bf-committers] [Bf-blender-cvs] SVN commit: /data/svn/bf-blender [40677] trunk/blender/source/blender/ editors/animation/anim_filter.c: Reverting part of r.40659

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 05:41:03 CEST 2011

Having no compiler warnings is a nice target, some years back
developers would add in implicit declarations which would go unnoticed
causing crashes in some cases, but now these are set as errors (on GCC
at least).

Newer GCC versions warn of values being "Set but not used",
while having no compiler warnings in blender is good practice theres a
trade off where some changes of the warnings are better left alone
unless you really know the code well.
If there is too much warning noise when compiling we can turn off
specific warnings which don't lead to real bugs.

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Daniel Salazar - 3Developer.com
<zanqdo at gmail.com> wrote:
> +1
>
> Daniel Salazar
> 3Developer.com
>

> On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Matt Ebb <matt at mke3.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Joshua Leung <aligorith at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Reverting part of r.40659
>>>
>>> The output of an automated tool is not a valid excuse for clobbering
>>> code to increase maintenance headaches later on.
>>>

>> It might be a good idea to reiterate for new developers: Please avoid
>> committing in other peoples' code without the permission or understanding of
>> the module owner. There have been a couple of occasions in the last week or
>> so where people have done seemingly innocuous fixes in other code which have
>> ended up causing problems or bugs.
>>
>> If you've found something which you think should be fixed and it's not 100%
>> urgent (like its breaking compilation), just ask the owner of the code
>> first, or make a patch. Just because you have access to commit everywhere in
>> blender doesn't make it always a good idea :)
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> Matt

- Campbell