[Bf-committers] Arabic language support in the UI

Yousef Hurfoush bat3a at msn.com
Wed Sep 28 03:27:35 CEST 2011

> I'm impressed. Could you briefly explain what is going under the hood?
> And what is the problem with the python version (I thought python could
> handle encoding with no problems)?

1st: reversing the Arabic string (ت ا ل ي ض ف ت) will make it
in the right order (ت ف ض ي ل ا ت ) then

2nd: changing the inner chars to what shape they really
are in Arabic ( ت to تـ ) according it's position in the word

> I wonder if the better solution would be to have this running internally in
> Blender leaving the .po "non-reversed"/normal.

it should, but doing a full support for the RTL languages will still be needed
anyway they need some sort of alignment transform, meaning
the right panels on the the left and visa verse

> --
> Dalai
>
> Note: I was going to comment that there are also "missing characters" in the
> screen with your new font. But it seems to be the non-arabic characters,
> (e.g. - ). Once merged with the Droid we are using it should work fine.

yes as the tested font don't have an english chars