[Bf-committers] Texture Paint/Sculpt Usability & Features Proposal

Julio Iglesias j at zafio.com
Tue Sep 20 19:57:00 CEST 2011

Hi,

First of all, let me state I'm not a coder, I just use Blender on a
daily basis so this ideas don't come out of a whim.
I'm currently working with Bartius Crouch on "Texture Paint Plus"
script, but there is stuff he can't do with python.

So, let me cut to the chase, here is a post with some basic suggestions:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?thread.php213816-your-wishlist-for-paint-tools&p=1843653&viewfull=1#post1843653

The idea with the GUI changes is to integrate and simplify the access
to common stuff as right now is way too scattered.
But priority in my humble opinion as a user would be to add the next features:

- 4 (angle brush dynamic, with random and rake/direction options, same
as in sculpt)
- 6 (texture independant alpha masks)
- The ability to choose any new created image on the image editor as
mask (without having to save and load into a material!) plus a quick
system to load a number of textures through a file browser, i.e.(nº5):
http://zafio.com/tmp/blender/tpaint_mockup/sculpt_gui_integration.jpg
(also some of the ideas there could be implemented in texture paint
modE)
- 8 (color dynamics that would also affect brush textures)

That would be just the basics. If you want I can elaborate on why are
those features needed, usability details, etc...

If the ideas are accepted in this board, I would be willing to take
care of funding the development, either from my pocket or via
crowdfunding.
I also have the initial interest from Psy-Fi to code it, although he
humbly admited there was better candidates, but it looks like everyone
he recommended is busy as hell.
So if any of you reading this is also able and interested to implement
it, let me now!

Regards.