[Bf-committers] "howto translate garlic ..." ( request for instructions )

Jass gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org
Tue Sep 20 11:05:56 CEST 2011

Am 20.09.2011 07:05, schrieb Knapp:
>> 1.) When i am in doubt how to make a pyrticular translation, who can i ask ?
> Not sure I can help but I am a native USA speaker and live in Germany.
> I German is far from perfect but I have been learning German for 5
> years so perhaps I can help with the English side of it, if you have a
> question.

1.) Order of words
Often the order of the words changes when translated. Especially
we often have  the combination "<verb> <object>"  in english
which translates to german as "<object><verb>".

Examples:

english:

     Display Camera
     Display Lamp

translation (correct):

     Kamera anzeigen
     Lampe anzeigen

alternative translation (bad but with emphasis on the function):

Anzeige: Kamera
Anzeige: Lampe

2.) Special words:

I often find that the german translation of a GUI is simply not
understandable when fully translated. It often makes sense
(to me) when a set of "main objects" and "main functions"
just keep their names as in english. Examples:

Lattice
Mesh
Playback
Quad
Triangle

So is there a dictionary of words which should keep untranslated ?
Or is this up to the translators taste ?