[Bf-committers] Addon bug reports

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 05:54:23 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Nathan Vegdahl <cessen at cessen.com> wrote:
> Hey everyone,
> I am getting increasingly frustrated that Rigify bugs are being
> reported as comments on the same damn bug report:
> http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=469&aid=25546&group_id=153
>
> I notice that in all included Blender addons (including Rigify) there
> is a "report a bug" link that points to an individual report such as
> this, which I presume is what's causing users to simply append their
> own bugs to this single bug report.  As a maintainer this is extremely
> frustrating because it means I cannot manage Rigify's bug reports
> properly (i.e. there are no real reports, just comments).
>
> I want to check if this is the intended behavior for users to take
> when reporting addon bugs.  If not, then I will simply close the
> report and include an explanation for them to file new reports for
> their bugs.  On the other hand, if it is the intended behavior for
> users to take... why?  It makes me far more apt to miss reports,
> forget that I haven't already fixed something, etc.  And it is
> hair-pullingly frustrating to not have the satisfaction of marking
> something as fixed after I fix it.
>
> --Nathan V

It is the intended behavior but I don't think it works well at all,

I think this is how extensions were planned by extensions admins long
before they were used for addons - guessing
 - Nathan Letwory  / Luca Bonavita (mindrones) / Brendon Murphy
(meta-androcto) ? --- not sure though.

IMHO addons _as_ issues Its bad because...
- You cant look at the list and pick a bug to fix.
- You don't get a sense of which addons are buggy or which developers
are not maintaining their work.
- It discourages devs fixing bugs in other peoples addons because they
have to look into the addon to find bugs.
- Issues get mixed up - false alarms are mixed with real issues, no
way to remove invalid comments.
- You don't any get satisfaction from closing bug reports, or getting
the tracker below 50 :D

Discussed with Luca and we tentatively agreed to move to match
bf-blender bug tracker style where each issue being a bug - but I'm
not sure when of if this is planned - Luca didn't have time for it
last we talked, so maybe others can arrange for this.

Prefer we keep the wiki's as is (that works well), but have 1 tracker
for extensions, starting new trackers is quite trivial (did this for
BMesh) so we could start a new one, and make links in the interface go
to the new tracker, then slowly move reports over from the existing
tracker to the new one.

I can do this if nobody else wants to but interested to hear from
other addon admins/devs what they think of this first.

- Campbell