[Bf-committers] Fully qualified names for channels in actions?

Nathan Vegdahl cessen at cessen.com
Tue Sep 20 04:39:16 CEST 2011

> In this scene you have three objects. Every object
> has it's own action and it works well. But for some animations it could
> be very useful to store that animation of all three objects in one
> action

This is an unfortunate limitation of Blender's animation system at the
moment.  As far as I know, there are not yet any plans to change this.
 But IIRC at the very least it won't be possible until after the
depgraph gets overhauled...?

I agree that it would be very useful to be able to do this, and that
there are circumstances where it is very frustrating to not be able to
do this. (e.g. a brick wall getting smashed would currently create
hundreds or thousands of individual actions--one per brick--which
would be a nightmare to manage, especially if you want to do clever
NLA stuff; and there are less extreme cases as well, such as a
character handling a prop.)

Blender currently hacks around this limitation primarily via the
armature system, where object-like-but-not-really-object bones can be
used for sophisticated multi-object-style animation.  But this only
works for a subset (albeit a large subset) of cases.

--Nathan