[Bf-committers] Raytraced GI in Blender Internal?

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Wed Sep 7 18:12:48 CEST 2011

Hi,

Raytraced GI was never available in an official version of 2.5, that
must have been either a patch version or branch.

The main difficulty with merging render branch features is that it's
going to take up a lot time, that personally I'd rather spend
elsewhere. The render branch has many changes, where I tried to
refactor it into a bit more flexible architecture, so that e.g.
indirect light could be added. After working on this for more than a
year, my conclusion was that this was just too difficult. Many things
in the render branch are not stable, and some backwards compatibility
is broken as well. Now the problem is that it's not really possible to
merge over only raytraced GI, since it depends on many other changes.

I'd rather not commit deep changes in blender internal now, because it
inevitably needs much time to stabilize, get bugs fixed. Remember that
I already can only work on Cycles half time, because of code review,
bug fixing and other work that I get assigned. If someone else wants
to improve blender internal, they can, and I wouldn't expect it to
disappear soon.

Brecht.