[Bf-committers] Blender developer IRC meeting notes, September 4, 2011

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 10:29:41 CEST 2011

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 5:36 PM, Bastien Montagne <montagne29 at wanadoo.fr> wrote:
> Thanks a lot, Campbell!
>
> (Ack! looking at the diffs, I really missed a few important points…)
>
> - About weights viewing, I might be able to reuse/inspire from the Carrot’s
> code (seems to use CD_WEIGHT_MCOL), but had no time to test/investigate it
> yet…
>
> - About falloff of VGroup Proximity, I thought the  VGroupEdit’s curve would
> be enough… But I can add the other mappings to that later modifier, indeed.

Realize this is a bit in conflict with my request to split vgroup
modifiers by functionality.

The problem with how it is now for deformations linear falloff looks
really bad where the geometry crosses the min/max limits for these
deformations smooth falloff looks best - as is default for
proportional edit mode.
But in the cases where vgroups are not used for deformations, its
reasonable to use linear falloff.

Having 2 modifiers works ofcourse but I would prefer the most common
case (vgroups for deformations), doesn't give poor results by default
with just one modifier.

IMHO adding a falloff dropdown like the warp modifier is ok, but dont
think having a curve widget is needed.

> Regards,
> Bastien.
>
> Le 05/09/2011 08:11, Campbell Barton a écrit :
>>
>> Reviewed the VGroup-Modifier branch today and fixed some errors as
>> well as more superficial UI changes.
>>
>> There are some issues I noticed but don't think there showstoppers
>>
>> - Users will want to see the results of the modifiers in weight-paint
>> mode, currently they can't - more an issue with the modifier stack
>> though.
>>
>> - VGroup Proximity modifier uses linear falloff which gives a sharp
>> cutoff, would be nice to have falloff options matching the Warp
>> modifier.
>>

>> Other then these comments think the branch is OK to merge into trunk.

>>> Hi, I've fixed those in the latest patch I sent to Todd - if he can
>>> upload
>>> that, it should be good to be reviewed now I think.
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>>
>>> Matt

- Campbell