[Bf-committers] FFmpeg update instructions

Ejner Fergo ejnersan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 2 17:54:26 CEST 2011

Hi Sergey,

Just some points I noticed:

Where you write
"To use this libraries create the lib/ folder near the folder which
contains blender sources"
and later
BF_FFMPEG = "../lib/linux/ffmpeg"

I know what you mean, but there may be others that just copy/paste
that relative path but have not checked out the libs at the right
place. Maybe it could be spelled out a bit more:
"To use these libraries create the lib/ folder in the dir containing
the blender source dir"
or something like that, or maybe even
BF_FFMPEG = "/path/to/cloned/lib/linux/ffmpeg"

Another thing I've helped some users with, is when compiling ffmpeg be
sure to have the libs in the library search path. This ensures you
don't get a message like "missing libavformat.so.53" when trying to
start blender. In your example:

Create a .conf file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d/ (for example ffmpeg.conf)
containing the line:
/opt/ffmpeg-0.8.2/lib
and then run (as root):
ldconfig

Last thing, you have ffmpeg-0.8.1 in places where it should say 0.8.2

Hope the above makes sense.

Best regrads,
Ejner