[Bf-committers] Guidelines for developer logs, docs & blogs

Bogomir Bogomirov bb at bogomirov.org
Thu Sep 1 04:16:33 CEST 2011

Hm, I'm kind of confused by an (apparent) contradiction, which might be a matter of definitions, I guess.

As far as I know, a patent protects the commercial exploitation of an idea embedded in a product when, and only when that happens in a specific jurisdiction. So "patent infringement" would make sense when a legal entity attempts to sell a product that allegedly contains IP, patented in the same jurisdiction. And since the content of all patents is public, an infringement by "not knowing" seems to be a weak excuse.

For the sake of the discussion however, let's assume the product under question is given away for free. In this context I see no commercial exploitation, nor subsequent profit to be penalized. And no case, correct me if I am wrong.

b.