[Bf-committers] New to coding, fan of blender, want to help

Davis Sorenson davis.sorenson at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 15:06:19 CEST 2011

Hi Joshua,

Just so you know, most of Blender's core and its editors are written in C,
the interface is declared in Python, and the game engine is written in C++.
Having come from a similar situation as yourself, I would say that the best
thing to do is to find some small annoyance and try to fix it. I haven't
been that successful at it myself, but if you're a compsci major it
shouldn't be too difficult. Since you're into gaming, maybe there's some
simple todos for the game engine? I don't know much about that.

When I edit Blender's code I use Git on top of SVN for local source code
management (See this video tutorial http://youtu.be/CxuTxzR7w9U ), and then
do svn diff > patchname.patch when I'm done. After that you upload it to the
Blender patch tracker on http://projects.blender.org/, and if it's a larger
patch post something about it to the mailing list. It will be reviewed, and
if it's a good patch it gets committed to trunk by a dev.
I would also recommend joining irc #blendercoders on irc.freenode.net, it's
where the developers have their discussions and meetings.

Overall the process is pretty relaxed, and participating in Blender
development is, in my experience, enjoyable.

Davis