[Bf-committers] Proposal for "View Docs" on Right Click

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 00:04:40 CEST 2011

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 3:14 AM, Harley Acheson
<harley.acheson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sounds good but is the "many to one mapping" really required or wanted?
> It sounds like more work than necessary, and would result in ongoing
> maintenance.

I think this is manageable, we can fallback on wildcards/regex for
ID's so we don't need a keep a list of everything.
we don't want one doc for "bpy.ops.texture.slot_move", better glob
"bpy.ops.texture.slot_*", or  "bpy.ops.texture.*" and then link to a
page explaining about blender texture system.

Tools to validate all operators are covered by the mapping are easy to
write too so the mapping can be maintained and checked to be complete
before release.

> Instead just have a separate page for each operator based on their
> identifiers. For those
> that are part of some larger group, we can just add links on their pages to
> the group's page.
> This way you can just use links in the wiki to make this "many to one"
> relationship and
> also allows "one to many" and "many to many" relationships as well.
>
> Harley

IMHO this Just adds 1 level on indirection and is another place to
have to maintain relationships (and another point of failure),
as before the grouping can be done at the *many to one* mapping level,
first checking for exact matches then wildcard/regex.