[Bf-committers] Proposal for "View Docs" on Right Click

"Martin Bürbaum" martin.buerbaum at gmx.at
Tue Oct 25 09:09:55 CEST 2011

Sean Olson <seanolson at gmail.com> wrote:
> Additionally, we would have to decide on exactly how to do this UI wise.
> There are a number of options.
>
> 1. Additional Menu Item  - So we would have 'View User Docs' and
> 'View API Docs'
>
> 2. Tie User Docs and API docs together in wiki.  So if you go to
> 'View Docs' there would be a link from the API docs to the User
> docs and vice versa
>
> My personal preference is the additional menu item.  I feel that Users
> rarely want to look at API docs, but devs often look at both.

If I'm allowed to chime in here, I agree that the 1. option would be a good idea. But I'd call the menu options simply "Help" for the User doc and "View/Show development documentation" for the API stuff etc.
That looks clearer to me at least and probably the average user as well. (Personally I use the API docs at times).

Option 2 "Tie User Docs and API docs together in wiki" probably would create either a mess or would branch out in the wiki anyway - depending on the implementation.

Cheers,
Martin