[Bf-committers] Arabic support in text editing

Dalai Felinto dfelinto at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 08:58:48 CEST 2011

Hi Yousef,

I would take a look at some library that we can used with freetype2 (our
current text drawing low-level library). To re-create the wheels ourselves
seems a bit overkill to me.

This text has a good overview, Panda caught my eyes there:
http://behdad.org/text/

There is more to complex scripting than replacing the arabic letters by
their presentation form. This is needed, but should happen under the hood at
drawing time only imho.

That said, given that ui drawing is likely the most daily demanding usage of
text, I think "pre-baked" .po is still a great idea (I'm trying to improve
the py script btw)

--
Dalai