[Bf-committers] SCons convoluted for installing files,

Lars Krueger lars_e_krueger at gmx.de
Fri Oct 21 20:11:57 CEST 2011

1. Are you really sure the code snippets handle the file names identically? Is it a fair comparison? The scons file seems to handle _svn folders, while cmake doesn't (explicitely). The scons file has the ability to handle multiple paths, although only one is used, etc. In general, scons "takes things literally" and does not handle platform dependencies implicitely (_svn vs. .svn). I think that was a conscious design decision.

2. scons allows multiple installs:
  env.Install( whereTo, list-of-where-froms)

How about a class that abstracts these platform-issues (e.g. filter the not-to-be-installed files) so that you only have to walk the source tree and call the respective method of the instance of the platform class.

If you have multiple places where stuff like this appears, make a function.

3. I don't know enough about Macs, but why do you need to call "cp" yourself? env.Install should do that.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 21 Oct 2011 20:18:55 +1100
> Von: Campbell Barton <ideasman42 at gmail.com>
> An: bf-blender developers <bf-committers at blender.org>
> Betreff: [Bf-committers] SCons convoluted for installing files,

> Today I moved some files from a different place and found scons to be
> more complicated then seems reasonable (and took a while to update for
> the changed locations).
>
> Comparison - copying "release/scripts/" for scons/cmake:
>
> http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Ideasman42/SConsNotSimpleInstallingFiles
>
> Surely SCons has better facilities to copy a directory?
>
> --
> - Campbell

Dr. Lars Krueger