[Bf-committers] 2.60 OSX

Paul Melis paul.melis at sara.nl
Thu Oct 20 08:26:36 CEST 2011

On 10/20/2011 07:18 AM, Mats Holmberg wrote:
> It's dodgy still. It's best to try different setting and see what works best (or least bad, that is).
>
> On my Mac Pro, at best, Blender smoke sim utilizes 6-7 % of my cpu. That's with 16 threads (8 real, 8 virtual cores). Fluids are the same.
>
> I don't see any change, no matter what I put in the set_simulation_threads app. In fact, for some reason even setting the environment variable OMP_NUM_THREADS doesn't seem to work anymore.
>
> I still use my dual core Macbook Pro for all sims, it's about ten times faster than my 8-core desktop machine!

Maybe it's related to a similar problem I saw with volume rendering
preprocessing, see
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=498&aid=28728&group_id=9

You could do some testing similar to what I did in the bug report above
(# of threads -> total time). If that shows a similar performance
decline it could be a problem with the threading in the smoke sim

Regards,
Paul