[Bf-committers] MMORPG or Networked Game Server Client

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 22:43:33 CEST 2011

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Sergey Kurdakov <sergey.forum at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Douglas,
>
>>I want to propose we make both or one of these for the BGE. Where
>>should I go to talk about it? Thanks.
>
> http://blenderartists.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?12-Game-Engine-Support-and-Discussion
>
> there were actually several attepmts to bring more networking capabilities
> and few example game were developed.
>
> my favorite idea in this regard is  to use
>
> python client for Reddwarf
> http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/reddwarf/wiki/CommunityClientImplementations (
> see few of them on the bottom of the page)
>
> and
> http://reddwarfserver.org/ itself as a server.
>
> there is a demo game ( java client though so there would be need to make it
> compatible with Blender game engine )
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/rd-snowman/
>
> which can be replicated in Blender Game engine at client side, and maybe
> transformed to something different.
>
> with this task finished and running many others could follow to develop
> MMORPGs as the things would be much more clear.
>
> while reddwarf server development stalled - still it is the best open source
> way to try MMORPG.
>
> beware though, that development of full scale MMORPG is huge undertaking and
> few people actually have good skills in the area.
>
> So I suggest - instead of choosing wrong way  not knowing all pitfalls
> you would be able to make better decision after a MMORPG like demo runs at
> your  fingertips.
>
> And also others could more easily join your efforts when something already
> can be tried.
>
> So
> porting http://sourceforge.net/projects/rd-snowman/ to python and Blender
> game engine could  be one person undertaking,
> which you might manage on your own. Then - knowing how it feels like and
> having much more understanding
> you might extend your efforts and offer more ideas
> to others, directing them where you will find intresting during discussions.
>
> Regards
> Sergey

I don't have time right this second to go through your links but will
get to it. Thanks for the info!

I have written my own MMORPG server and client using Panda3d which is
open source and has a good network system. I only ever tested it with
a light load of 5 players but it worked well. I would be happy to
share that code and of course the Panda code is open but a bit
incomplete when it comes to distributed objects.

That bit about it being a lot of work is true but at the same time
something that is way over said. I think people need encouragement.
Making your own MMORPG is really not that hard or that much work
provided you keep your design simple. It is a a lot of animation and a
big project but not something that should scare a person with
commitment from doing it. I don't think it is any harder to do that
one of blenders movie projects (I say that without much experience on
the movie side but that is how I see it. Both are big projects but
very doable.)

I would qualify that by saying that the MMO part if it for the hobby
programmer is really talking about 100 payers not 1,000,000 or more
like WOW or something might have. I don't think most Blender BGE
coders are really out to have more that 100 players and if they do go
beyond that they should be ready to move to a more professional
setting for their project. My point being that BGE networking can be
done with a smaller scale system in mind.

Reading your advice would lead me back to getting my game back on line
and trying to bring in more developers. I good way to go for my game
but it will not help blender much. I would like to see BGE have a good
distributed object code perhaps modeled after Panda3d but done with
Blender. BTW Panda is Python and C++ code with python being the Key
language for development of games with that lib. The problem is
importing stuff from blender to panda. You always looks look Blender
stuff and I can see BGE as a way to keep all the cool art and making
it very easy to develop a MMORPG.

Thanks,
--
Douglas E Knapp