[Bf-committers] Construction Set clone with Blender?

Αντώνης Ρυακιωτάκης kalast at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 10:39:21 CEST 2011

1)Blender already has a turntable mode, selectable in user
preferences. What is preferable is a personal thing. I used to think
that turntable was the way to go too but trackball has won over me in
the end.

2)Again, in user preferences there are options for "Auto Depth", "Zoom
to mouse position" and "Rotate around selection". There's also zoom
style. Try them out you may find something that you like.

3)Yes, a subset of the material properties (but important for game
engines) can be viewed as "final" in the viewport by selecting
textured mode (Alt-z) and GLSL under display in 3D editor's N panel.

4) G-Z for grabbing vertically. For dropping there is no easy way as
far as I know (maybe something constraint based?). Others may help
here.

I think you are missing the point though. A construction editor is not
easy to make as it uses quite a different philosophy for resource
management and hierarchical scene representation than blender. It will
take a lot of adaptation and is by no means a one man project. If you
indeed have the skills to make one out of blender, all your previous
concerns won't be hard to adjust in the code by comparison.