[Bf-committers] Forming a team for Video Editor

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 21:28:38 CEST 2011

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 1:48 PM, Ton Roosendaal <ton at blender.org> wrote:
> Hi Fabio,
>
> Apart from the mentioned other OS video editors, here's more;
>
> http://ekd.tuxfamily.org/index.php/Accueil/AccueilEnglish
> http://www.openmovieeditor.org/  (stalled)
> http://lives.sf.net.
>
> I understand coder's incentives well; the best code is always your own
> code! Everyone should write a ray-tracer once, and it seems video
> editors are close in the same category :)
>
> Nevertheless; at this moment it's much more wise to join forces than
> to further seggregate. The OS community could really use a flagship
> industry-level video editor.
>
> (And even though Blender rocks, our video editor is by definition
> limited... and meant mostly to have an integrated pipeline to edit
> your render work).
>
> -Ton-

I make little tutorials for blender. Most of the time I get like 500
hits or less, way less. My blender video video got 15,700 hits! I
think this says something about how important this little bit of
blender is. I really do think it is a place that could benefit from
some more attention. I do under stand that it is limited but it is the
best editor on Linux that I have ever used and I have tried them all
(free ones that is). It rocks because it does the job and it does not
crash. ALL THE OTHERS CRASH ON ME! They also can't do half of what
they should in any reasonable amount of time. Sometimes I think
someone should cut the blender video editor out of blender and run
with it. Problem is that it would then loose all the cool devs and
leaders that got it this far.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!