[Bf-committers] Proposal: Object creation

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 17:55:17 CEST 2011

On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Michael Williamson
<michaelw at cowtoolsmedia.co.uk> wrote:
> As someone who almost never wishes I could go back and change object
> parameters because a cube, sphere, pyramid or whatever is only useful
> 99.99% of the time as some geometry to start editing into something else....
>
> I have a couple of questions.
>
> The appeal of modelling in blender is that it's just so much more
> immediate than other tools.
> Having the object locked to only its initial creation parameters when
> entering edit mode sounds very cumbersome.
> How will you make it not so?
>
> Also, how will your system work if I add an object whilst in edit mode?
>
> There was a python solution a while back that would allow you to do
> transforms etc and then go back and change the creation parameters as
> long as you hadn't edited the created mesh.
>   (entering edit mode was the key there I believe)
>
> IIRC it only worked on primitives created in python rather than the
> native ones, but if that worked for all primitives It strikes me that is
> a much more "blender" solution...
>
> Seriously though, in "real world" use rather than theoretical tests does
> anyone use a primitive /without /editing it? for me that's so rare i'd
> class it as almost never.

Real world use in my models this month. Making a tube cut through and
object and needing to see if it was circular enough for my use IE, did
it have enough sides. Making a ladder with a grid. I had to keep
changing the number of grids to get it right. Use three making a
doughnut at the end of a rocket. I had to keep adjusting the outside
to fit nicely with the rocket cone and the inside to make it look good
on the inside of the rocket cone. That is just my use in one month. In
all these cases it took a lot of tweaking to get it right. To do it I
added an object in object mode and then in edit mode erased the verts
and re-added the shape in edit mode. Really stupid, if you ask me.
This fix would make all that time wasting jumping around a thing of
the past. I look forward to getting it. I can see the lock being
automatic and it just unlocks when you grab a vert and move it.

--
Douglas E Knapp

with open source software!

Massage in Gelsenkirchen-Buer: