[Bf-committers] Proposal: Object creation

michael williamson michaelw at cowtoolsmedia.co.uk
Tue Oct 4 12:29:05 CEST 2011

On 04/10/11 11:19, Thomas Volkmann wrote:
> Maybe the sphere wasn't the best example...I'll try another one:
> Torus-knot-addon. You have to decide what it should look like the instant you
> add it to your scene. If you want to change it after you added other stuff, you
> have to completly redo it :/

Hmm, esoteric ;)
I'd say box/sphere are the classic examples.

The old python based redo for addons coped with that, as long as you
hadn't entered edit mode on that object..

My point boils down to:
Entering edit mode is a clear "statement of intent" that you want to
hand edit the mesh so you shouldn't have to do something else to be able
to do that.
Adding a cumbersome "convert" step to cope with the (in my view) rare
case that you have a primitive knocking about your scene that you decide
much later to edit seems to be the wrong solution...

Talk to Meta androcto about the python "add" implementation and why it
was removed.

Besides, a power user in that rare case will just snap the cursor to the
old primitive and ADD a new one...  or just add a new primitive
elsewhere in the scene and share the mesh data...