[Bf-committers] Improvement of BGE rendering for CAVE systems

Damien Touraine damien.touraine at limsi.fr
Tue Nov 29 11:03:25 CET 2011

Hi,

We are working hard on Blender CAVE. Actually, we use a python script to
synchronize informations (for the moment, position and orientation of
each object) between the rendering nodes (the master node multicasts the
information to several slaves).  This script is running as a controller
triggered by an "always" sensor activated each frame. This Logic is
attached to a camera.

However, we don't have find an optimal solution : the scheduling of all
Logics can make the Blender CAVE script running before the update done
by other Logic (for instance, translation of an object triggered by
keyboard). The results is a desynchronization between the master and the
slaves. In some case (armature mouvement), the update of the slaves may
not occur.

Is there any way to force the execution of a given script AFTER all
other Logic ?
If not, I can suggest a patch : I have seen that there is
bge.types.KX_Scene.pre_draw that permits the integration of specific
function just before drawing the scene. But this is not optimal, as this
method is call before each redraw. Thus, in case of stereo, it is call
twice per frame (ie : once per point of view). So, I have devevelopped a
patch that add bge.types.KX_Scene.pre_render that is called once per
frame and before the rendering of the frame. But I'm not sure this
solution is optimale and is in the aim of Blender Game Engine. May I
post it to projects.blender.org ? Moreover, we may have to add a
bge.types.KX_Scene.pre_swapBuffers to synchronize the " *SwapBuffer"
between rendering nodes.

In addition, I wish to develop blenderCAVE as a plugin. But, as it rely
on the game engine, I don't manage to do that. Is there any way to link
an addon with BGE ?

Regards
     Damien Touraine