[Bf-committers] Mesh curvature estimation

Vincent Nivoliers vincent.nivoliers at loria.fr
Mon Nov 28 13:01:25 CET 2011

[2011-11-27 19:38:53 -0500] Nicholas Bishop:
> Hi all,
>
> A few times I've run into algorithms that require principal curvatures
> [1] as inputs. My cursory examination of the Blender source (basically
> just grepping for "curvature") didn't turn up any code for this, so I
> ported the (GPLv2) curvature code from the trimesh2 lib [2] to
> Blender. That code is based on the paper "Estimating Curvatures and
> Their Derivatives on Triangle Meshes" [3]. Dunno if this is useful to
> anyone else, but I've pushed a Blender branch [4] containing the
> curvature calculation (in blenlib/intern/curvature.c), as well as a
> test modifier that displays the curvature vectors.
>
> Screenshot with Suzanne: http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=21557
>
> Notes:
> The original code was in C++; I converted it to C and switched the
> math stuff over to blenlib and the types to MVert/MFace/etc. The
> per-vertex output is the two principal curvatures and two direction
> vectors. I haven't updated the code to handle quads yet, it'll
> assert() if it encounters a non-triangle face. I've only just gotten
> this working, so there are definitely bugs in it yet. :)
>
> Thanks,
> -Nicholas
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principal_curvature
> [2] http://gfx.cs.princeton.edu/proj/trimesh2/
> [3] http://gfx.cs.princeton.edu/pubs/_2004_ECA/
> [4] https://gitorious.org/~nicholasbishop/blenderprojects/nicholasbishop-blender/commits/tri-curvature

Hi,
There was a gsoc project last year [1] about the implementation of mixed
integer quadrangulationsa [2] into blender. I don't know where this
project lies now, but I believe this code uses a curvature estimator to
generate a direction field on the surface.

Thanks for this work,
-- Vincent

[1] http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code-2010-blender/
[2] http://www.graphics.rwth-aachen.de/uploads/media/bommes_zimmer_2009_siggraph_01.pdf