[Bf-committers] New Alembic support branch

Esteban Tovagliari ramenhdr at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 17:59:43 CET 2011

>This is great! Alembic support is certainly appreciated. I may be able
>to help out with particle support, depending on how much work this
>turns out to be.

The plugins bundled with Alembic are a great reference.
It's mostly collecting the data into a std::vector and passing it to the
Alembic lib, also computing a bounding box for the particles.
For hair particles, it would be almost the same, writting curves instead
of points.

I think that instancing objects on particles is better done on the
target application where you want to import the Alembic file and
does not need to be supported by the exporter, same with DupliX features.

>I've just tried building your branch, but unfortunately i'm getting a
>compiler error:

Sorry, this is an artifact of a previous svn up. I just fixed it and
now builds ok.

Est.