[Bf-committers] requesting reversion of 41550 despite downsides

Bassam Kurdali bassam at urchn.org
Sun Nov 27 01:02:25 CET 2011

Hi all,

http://projects.blender.org/scm/viewvc.php?view=rev&root=bf-blender&revision=41550
removes 'partially working' functionality from blender. And breaks
stnndard workflow for facial rigging. In the past even though this
feature had problems, It was still used by many to create symetrical
shapes; some points about this:

-after mirror modifier has been applied
-symmetric; vertex groups will be later used as masks for left and right
side.
-working on only one half of the shape is no good, you need to see the
total symmetric one, and use the vertex groups to blend, otherwise, you
get bad blends of left and right.
-working point by point really, really kills when doing shapekeys.
Rigging already takes too long.

this feature/workflow is present in almost any animation application.
Simply removing it from blender is, well, a bit a extreme in my opinion.

usually if you avoided crossing the mirror line with the proportional
circle you were pretty safe; weird things only happened close to the
line, at which point we turned it off. This was better than what we have
now: not having it all.

Can we have it back? pretty please? I know custom builds are possible,
but... if we want remove partially buggy features from blender, we'd end
up removing most of the program ;) - we have transform / offsets that
break in many 'corner cases' , drivers that don't update (due to missing
dependency graph fixes), python bugs, etc. The reaction isn't to remove
transform/drivers/python from blender - oh, and please, don't take that
as a suggestion ;)

cheers
Bassam