[Bf-committers] Why was BLENDER_VERSION_CHAR cleared?

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 06:57:52 CET 2011

BLENDER_SUBVERSION - this is for internal versions only, we could do
an incremental release without changing it. (2.60 and 2.60a could have
the same BLENDER_SUBVERSION for eg).
alternately it could be bumped multiple times in 1 week, but this of
course doesn't indicate we did 3 point releases.

2.60a, b, c --- are meant for release titles, but don't effect the
source and are not stored in the blend file.

the reason the character is converted into a number is that some
package formats don't support characters - '2.60a' as a version
number, but it does become confusing with BLENDER_SUBVERSION which
gets used in a similar way.

so can see its a bit confusing but prefer to keep this as is.

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Dan Eicher <dan at trollwerks.org> wrote:
> How was this done in previous releases?
>
> Do kind of agree that it should be 'set(PATCH_VERSION
> ${BLENDER_SUBVERSION})' because BLENDER_VERSION_CHAR doesn't really
> give as much useful information (and caused problems with the debian
> packager in the past).
>
> Plus that change would make CPack just a little more bulletproof when
> dealing with other fedora repos...
>
> Dan

- Campbell