[Bf-committers] Are "UV Texture Layer" and "UV Layer" synonyms for "UV Map" ?

Jass gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org
Mon Nov 14 12:54:05 CET 2011

I am mostly OK with the term "UV Layer" in modifiers and other places
which use only the UV coordinates part.  Why is it called "layer", can
UV layers be stacked ? Where, how and for what reason ?

 From a users viewpoint: how and where can we access "UV Textures" in
the "UV Textures Layer"? Are there Functions available like :

- Show the textures on the "UV Texture Layer"
- Add/Modify/remove the textures on the "UV Texture Layer"

Maybe the "UV Texture layer" got its name because it is technically a 
container ?
But in practice an UV Layer contains a UV Map and associations to 
multiple Textures
which are named UV Textures only because of that association ?

And there is yet another pair of terms: "UV Layout" and "UV Map". How 
are those
two related to each other ?


Am 14.11.2011 04:07, schrieb Brecht Van Lommel:
> The layer is called UV Texture Layer because it contains both UV
> coordinates and an image texture for each face (and some other texture
> face properties before the changes in 2.60). Modifiers and other
> places that use these usually have properties called UV Layer, because
> they only use the UV coordinates part.
> So there is a reason for the naming, though it may not be that clear
> and not always applied consistently...
> Brecht.
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2011 at 4:32 PM, Jass<gaia.clary at machinimatrix.org>  wrote:
>> Hi.
>> I located following terms in Blender and Blender documentation:
>> UV-Texture
>> UV-Map
>> UV Layer
>> UV Texture Layer
>> And it looks a bit like the terms sometimes get mixed up.
>> I scrolled over different areas in the Blender-GUI and i found:
>> in Image editor:
>> - Export UV Layout
>> In Object properties (texture section)
>> - Mapping ->  UV
>> In Object Properties (Object Data Section)
>> - UV Texture
>> - UVTex (default name of new UV texture)
>> - "Add UV Texture Layer" (in tooltip)
>> In Modifer (UV Project Modifier)
>> - UV Layer
>> - UV Layer name (tooltip)
>> ====
>> After trying to identify the differences between the above mentioned terms
>> I derived the following definition for these terms. Please can you tell me
>> if this is correct, or clarify where i am wrong ?
>> UV Map: Map which relates the faces of a mesh to areas on a
>> 2-dimensional image.**
>> UV Texture Layer: Synonym for UV Map
>> UV Layer: shortform of "UV Texture Layer"
>> UV Texture: A texture which needs a UV Map to be projected on the
>> surface of an Object
>> ====
>> If the first 3 terms are indeed synonyms, then i propose to replace them
>> by one single term.
>> I think "UV Map" would be the one to use and then we have only:
>> UV Map      ( a map between faces on an object and corresponding
>> locations on a 2D image)
>> UV Texture  (an image that uses a UV Map)
>> what do you think about this ? If i am right then
>> this change would make it much easier to understand UV texturing with
>> Blender and it
>> would become much easier to explain it...
>> _______________________________________________
>> Bf-committers mailing list
>> Bf-committers at blender.org
>> http://lists.blender.org/mailman/listinfo/bf-committers
> _______________________________________________
> Bf-committers mailing list
> Bf-committers at blender.org
> http://lists.blender.org/mailman/listinfo/bf-committers

More information about the Bf-committers mailing list