[Bf-committers] Cycles and Dynamic Paint - Problem with render but not preview

Mike S blenderdev at mikes.id.au
Fri Nov 11 01:50:50 CET 2011

Hi all,

Just playing with the latest build # r41746.  (built scons, gcc4.6.1 OSX
10.7)

I was trying to get dynamic paint output to render on cycles. It does to
some degree ( using the vertex colour option for the canvas on a
subdivided plane)  I can see the correct result in the preview window
but, if I render I only get the brush object rendered correctly and the
canvas is black .

See image : http://www.pasteall.org/pic/20441

The preview I can refresh easily after scrubbing the animation by simply
changing the preview window from Rendered to another mode and back again
( this would be good do automatically when the animation is stopped or
static for a second or so rather than have to do it manually - same
issue with fluid sims with cycles )

However in the render window the canvas is always black. Not sure why
this should be given the preview rendering should be the same engine as
the final render?  Is this a bug or is dynamic paint in this mode
(vertex) not supposed to work with Cycles?

Cheers,

Mike.