[Bf-committers] Please help me debugging

Nicholas Bishop nicholasbishop at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 00:54:14 CET 2011

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Rainer Hohne <rahohne at googlemail.com> wrote:
> @ Nicholas
> Thank you very much for all those valuable suggestions.
> How do you use TAGS ? I tried it with Emacs which I have never used before,
> so the handling - especially if I have to press Ctrl-u Alt-. just to jump
> to the next match - seems a bit complicated to me (although using four
> buttons in a shortcut has something very blenderesque :-), but perhaps
> there is a trick I don't know yet.

Yep, I use it in emacs. Most of the time the first hit will get you
where you want to go (you can probably generate a "cleaner" TAGS file
by telling etags to ignore certain directories.) As for the `C-u M-.'
shortcut, the usual emacs keyboard notes apply: it helps to remap your
capslock-key as a ctrl key, and if that's still uncomfortable,
(global-set-key) can be used to set a different key.

If you need to blow through a whole bunch of TAGS hits, you can also
use the repeat command, so `M-.' to find first hit, `C-u M-.' to move
to second, then `C-x z' to move to third, then just keep pressing `z'
to move to next entry.

-Nicholas