[Bf-committers] UTF8 text input status (on OS X)

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 10:40:52 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 6:57 PM, Jens Verwiebe <info at jensverwiebe.de> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I followed your conversation and also contatcted Damien ( original GHOST_cocoa writer ) for
> send us a helping hand.
> I must say i also don´t think this is especially an OSX issue now, due i never had any problems
> handling unicode in OSX else.
> Must be a special case in Blender.
>
> Also all debug prints show up right outputs in several places.
> Again i like to point out that for example "öäüÖÄÜ" is only shown
> wrong in outliner ( "öäüOAU") but when exported to an external script
> ( luxblend here ), pby output was right sending it as "öäüÖÄÜ".
>

> I formerly got some misinformation on the state of usability in other OS, so this seems a more general problem.
>
> Thus i don´t see atm a needed change for OSX in GHOST rather than checking outliner and perhaps other modules.
>
> Jens

Double checked and quite sure this is a font issue only, you can check
this by replacing blenders normal font with the mono font and "öäüÖÄÜ"
display correctly in the text button view.
patch for testing: http://www.pasteall.org/25991/diff

note: to get the text into blender I had to save the text to a utf8
encoded file, load the text in blenders text editor, then paste into a
text button field, copying directly from firefox gives invalid utf8
chars, but this shouldn't be an issue as long as input is utf8.