[Bf-committers] Support for XDG Base Directory Specification (patch attached)

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 06:19:16 CET 2011

Hi Cosme,

+1 with reservations.

Generally speaking its nice to follow XDG spec and having files in
~/.config/ is less messy but there is the annoyance of users upgrading
blender and not having their user preferences, or we need to have a
way to copy the files between 2 paths (which isn't hard, just an extra
task), we already have it for version switching so it can be extended
for this too.

I've uploaded an edited version of you're patch to the tracker,
comments posted there.

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=28947&group_id=9&atid=127
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/download.php/9/127/28947/18254/blender_add_xdg_base_directory_support__ideasman42.patch

The question remains - should this patch go in and keep it optional
until platform maintainers agree to make the switch for release?

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Cosme Domínguez <cosme.ddiaz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I made a patch that supports this standard. I tested it and it
> seems work fine.
>
> http://www.pasteall.org/25948/diff
>
> Download: http://projects.blender.org/tracker/download.php/9/498/28943/18167/blender_add_xdg_base_directory_support.patch
>
> It adds a build option (disable by default) so for the moment does not
> imply any drastic change.
>
> I know changing paths should not be done lightly... but:
>
> * It's a FreeDesktop standard.
> * Popular apps like Chrome, PulseAudio, VLC, Transmission,
>  Qt Framework, Wormux, GStreamer... support it.
> * There are more and more software supporting it or they are working
> on it (Firefox and Gimp, for example)
>
> This is NOT about just moving hidden .blender in a huge .config. It's
> about separation of user data, preferences and cache element.
>
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/latest/
>
> But for now the patch only supports XDG_DOCUMENTS_DIR and XDG_CONFIG_HOME.
>
> For more info check:
>
> http://ploum.net/post/207-modify-your-application-to-use-xdg-folders
> http://ploum.net/post/184-cleaning-user-preferences-keeping-user-data
> http://stick.gk2.sk/blog/2009/03/the-ugly-duckling-called-xdg_config_home