[Bf-committers] Dolly bug

Campbell Barton ideasman42 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 23:26:33 CET 2011

Please report bugs in the tracker, also the images references are not
found so I'm not sure what you mean...

Are you familier with 'Auto Depth' & 'Zoom to Mouse Position' options?
- for navigating large 3D scenes I think enabling both these options
works a lot more usefully.

We get quite a few complaints about not being able to zoom past the
point of orbit,
a few releases ago I added a dolly operator (different from dolly zoom style).
Access with: Ctrl+Shift+MMB Drag

IMHO This works nicest with pref 'Interface -> Zoom To Mouse Position' enabled.

To reply to some of you're comments...

1) rotate about object should use boundbox center rather than the origin?
  ... yep, I few times I've noticed this especially when the center is
at the base of the object the option is a bit annoying,
  so bounbox center could be nicer.

2) rotate about object should change zoom as well?
  eeh, not sure this is a good idea, if it affects zoom it may as well
work for Pan too and be renamed to...
  "Set View Depth Based on Selection", which would be a bit like auto
depth but instead of the z-depth under the mouse use the selection.
  While all these options can be added I worry with this kind of thing
that we add all sorts of tweaks without really giving the user a
better experience, even what we have now with view options is hard to
grasp IMHO.

--
- Campbell