[Bf-committers] Sensor Size

Ejner Fergo ejnersan at gmail.com
Tue May 31 05:05:56 CEST 2011

Hi again,

> - Vertical sensor size has got no affect
What I have tried to explain on the patch tracker, is that the
vertical sensor size affects the vertical fov, based on the focal
length. If you have a sensors height and the vfov in degrees/radians
(from an imported file) you get the correct focal length. Blender has
used the horizontal fov to set the focal length with this principle,
using the fixed 32 x18 mm "sensor". Some programs uses/exports the
hfov but some uses the vfov, and if they do you need to set the used
vertical sensor size, to return the correct focal length. Obviously
this works the other way (sensor x/y & focal = hori/vert fov) for
exporters.

> - Exportters also weren't handling sensor size correct
Which exporters didn't handle sensor size correctly and in what
programs? As it is now, I can only test formats with software I have
access to, and that means I mostly worked on FBX export... I have
tested FBX on Maya 2008+2011, Nuke and Houdini, where sensor size,
focal length and fov are exported as they should. The other
importer/exporter I focused on is the very simple .chan that works in
Nuke:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11299813/io_anim_chan.py

I thought there would be problems in other exporters, but again can't
test them directly yet. I would like to work on Collada but don't know
how. Do you know any app on Linux I can test the (Collada) camera
import/export with?

Thanks for looking on this, and for your cool work in GSoC!

Best regards,

Ejner