[Bf-committers] regarding color correction and images

Brecht Van Lommel brechtvanlommel at pandora.be
Fri May 27 15:26:36 CEST 2011

Already discussed this on IRC, so just sending here for completeness.
I was sent this image which I think was made by David. The problems
shown there I can also redo in Gimp and Mypaint. It depends on the
brush falloff as well, different curves make the problem more/less
obvious, but after tuning settings to be more similar, I can't see a
difference really.
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=12884

When painting float images, we definitely need to ensure it gets done
in the color space of that image, and painting images with scene
linear color may well give better results there. But for 8 bit images,
it seems the problem is more in the default brush curve, and perhaps
the brush accumulation (projection paint already implements behavior
more like other apps, keeping track of where it has already painted in
a stroke, the image editor doesn't yet).